2024-05-07

Teaching Life, Sir.

I linked the Rafeef Ziadah piece "We Teach Life, Sir" a while back. I linked it because it is an amazingly powerful piece but also I was reminded of the question about "teaching your children to hate" by the images of Israeli children doing genocide pantomine for Purim.

It is important to point out the hypocrisy - but that isn't really keeping in the spirit of Ziadah's work. We Teach Life, Sir is about the unbelievable resilience of the Palestinian people, of Sumud - the steadfastness to the land and the will to resist. I do not have this strength of will nor anything remotely resembling this grace - it is astounding to me and I am amazed by it. And I try to learn these lessons that the Palestinians are teaching every day when they get up. Here is today's lesson I am still trying to absorb.

https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1787893511494267066

No comments: