2010-12-24

Cars Big as Bars, Rivers of Gold

Confession Time.  That guy with the horrible taste in music, listened to Top 40 pop radio all the time - who all of a sudden started bugging you to listen to the new band they just discovered?  As if The Pogues were some sort of hidden treasure.  As if you hadn't been listening to Kirsty MacColl since before A New England.  I was that guy.

Well, I don't apologize.  Sure I must have been annoying as hell, but I don't care - Fairytale of New York is a fucking amazing song.  And sure it's not particularly representative of the work of Shane McGowan - but without Fairytale, I may never have discovered The Sick Bed of Cúchulainn.

Anyways, since it's Christmas Eve babe - I thought I'd piss off you Pogues purists some more with a bastardized cover.  I don't fucking care if it's not "as good" as Shane and Kirsty, I love this version.

2 comments:

vacuumslayer said...

"listened to Top 40 pop radio all the time - "

Oddly endearing. But then I tend to be suspicious of people who disdain ALL Top 40,,,


Wish I could weigh in on the cover controversy, but I only know two things about The Pogues: jack and shit.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Hey, if there are two things I love, they're A Fairytale of New York, and A Fairytale of New York. As far as the cover goes, I think it's safe to say that AFToNY can now be considered a "standard". KT does the late, lamented Kristy proud.

The funny thing about the song is that the night in the drunk tank must have been jauntier than the intro would suggest.