2024-04-16

Trolley Blogging

One of the things I keep discovering about the Gaza genocide is that all the shit I think is horrible is in fact a lot worse. I see the same stuff getting reported that everyone else does and have the same initial horrified response - but then I think about it some more and realize that I didn't understand how truly bad it was - and probably still don't.

Here's a less directly horrific but still terrible example of that. There's a meme about the trolley problem called "you can only watch" that's been particularly poignant in these times.

But, as I said, it's worse. We're not just watching. We're actively looking away so that we can go to work at the trolley factory. And when anyone voices any concerns about what these trolleys are doing, we're told that trolleys are an important tool in fighting climate change and that concern for the people getting slaughtered is actively opposing public transit and being pro-global warming.

No comments: